I won’t lie. This is a LOT of work.
What started out as, “Oh, I think I want to clean up the laundry room” ended up more like, “Let’s remodel Mt. Rushmore!”
The room is small and my initial plan was to simply pretty it up and reduce the clutter by organizing the space better. I do feel my plan was accomplished and now I don’t mind having the laundry room out in the open for all my guests to see.
As a reminder, here is how my laundry room looked before:
Laundry Room Makeover in Progress:
The first order of business was removing the yucky popcorn ceiling and stripping the wallpaper. The popcorn ceiling removal was messy but not too hard to do. I poured some hot water into a paint tray and rolled a heavy layer onto the ceiling. After about 10 minutes, I simply took a putty knife and scraped the gunk off. The ceiling is not completely smooth but the texture is gone. I added a layer of Kilz white primer and called it a day.
The wallpaper, however, was another story. Even after scoring it and wiping the walls down with a TON of water and wallpaper stripper, the paper would not come off. I ended up having to peel the color layer off first and repeat the whole process for the backing layer. What should have been a 2 hour job ended up closer to 6! My sweet daddy ended up helping with the final layer as I was fed up with it.
Once we finally removed all the wallpaper and wiped down the walls, it was time for patching. Remember the hole behind my washer from the plumbing repairs? Well that is gone along will all the myriad of holes from various hooks and dings. Instead of having a dated red check and cloud blue wallpaper, I brought in a fresh new color.
I used Valspar paint from the Lowe’s clearance bin. It was originally a rose color that I thought would be close but after my dad did an entire day of painting, I realized it was just too pink so I fiddled with it by adding a bit of white and yellow I had leftover from other projects to make it more coral. The second coat ended up exactly what I wanted.
As is typical for me, I then decided the paint was just too much coral so I found some mdf bead board at Home Depot and ordered enough to wrap the bottom half of the walls. Eric cut it to length then we installed it using a nail gun. This type of bead board comes pre-primed so a single coat of white paint was all I needed.
I’m hoping to finish up some shelving, the lighting, and decorating by next week so I can move on to my next project!