Thankful Thursday #7: How to Help a Knitter

What I did to help others this week:

ravelry

This week was both a “decrapifying” activity and a way to help a fellow Ravelry knitter. For those not familiar, Ravelry is a website for knitters that has patterns and forums for knitters to connect.

For Downton Abbey lovers, there is a group knitting activity that coincides with the latest season of Downton Abbey. The designer specifies the yarn and releases a pattern clue each week during the season. At the end of the Downton Abbey season, all the knitters then showcase the final product on Ravelry.

I finished my shawl with about 30 yards of yarn to spare and sent my extras to a knitter in Pittsburgh who had run short and didn’t want to spend another $40 to buy an entire new skein.

This week I am most thankful for:

My husband, Eric, who puts up with my crazy ideas and always does Valentine’s Day up right!

Church

Church

Transformation Tuesday: Breakfast Room Before

I know you were probably expecting to see my laundry room reveal but there a few finishing touches I must see to first. In the meantime, I thought I would share my February project, the Breakfast Room.

112

The good: Paint color! This room along with the kitchen AND my sewing room are painted this lovely yellow, Jersey Cream, from Sherwin Williams. After a LOT of painting in the laundry room, I’m happy to note there won’t be much, if any, required for this room.

SW 6379 Jersey Cream

The bad: My storage cabinets. The cabinets themselves are in great shape and include very deep shelves but the organization is seriously lacking. I never can find what I need without standing on a chair or pulling everything out.

110

The ugly: My desk. When I gutted the kitchen and breakfast room five years ago, I thought it would be a great idea to include a desk in this area so I could do all my bill paying, recipe planning, and grocery list making in one spot. As you can see, this area is a catch all for stuff instead!

109

The plan: Organize the storage cabinets, reduce the clutter and make the desk a usable space by upgrading the internet connection.

The budget: $100

The timetable: February 1-28

Transformation Tuesday: Laundry Room Progress

I won’t lie. This is a LOT of work.

What started out as, “Oh, I think I want to clean up the laundry room” ended up more like, “Let’s remodel Mt. Rushmore!”

The room is small and my initial plan was to simply pretty it up and reduce the clutter by organizing the space better. I do feel my plan was accomplished and now I don’t mind having the laundry room out in the open for all my guests to see.

As a reminder, here is how my laundry room looked before:

Laundry Room Before 001

Laundry Room Makeover in Progress:

The first order of business was removing the yucky popcorn ceiling and stripping the wallpaper. The popcorn ceiling removal was messy but not too hard to do. I poured some hot water into a paint tray and rolled a heavy layer onto the ceiling. After about 10 minutes, I simply took a putty knife and scraped the gunk off. The ceiling is not completely smooth but the texture is gone. I added a layer of Kilz white primer and called it a day.

The wallpaper, however, was another story. Even after scoring it and wiping the walls down with a TON of water and wallpaper stripper, the paper would not come off. I ended up having to peel the color layer off first and repeat the whole process for the backing layer. What should have been a 2 hour job ended up closer to 6! My sweet daddy ended up helping with the final layer as I was fed up with it.

Wrestling 087

Once we finally removed all the wallpaper and wiped down the walls, it was time for patching. Remember the hole behind my washer from the plumbing repairs? Well that is gone along will all the myriad of holes from various hooks and dings. Instead of having a dated red check and cloud blue wallpaper, I brought in a fresh new color.

 

Wrestling 093

I used Valspar paint from the Lowe’s clearance bin. It was originally a rose color that I thought would be close but after my dad did an entire day of painting, I realized it was just too pink so I fiddled with it by adding a bit of white and yellow I had leftover from other projects to make it more coral. The second coat ended up exactly what I wanted.

As is typical for me, I then decided the paint was just too much coral so I found some mdf bead board at Home Depot and ordered enough to wrap the bottom half of the walls. Eric cut it to length then we installed it using a nail gun. This type of bead board comes pre-primed so a single coat of white paint was all I needed.

Wrestling 103

I’m hoping to finish up some shelving, the lighting, and decorating by next week so I can move on to my next project!

Transformation Tuesday: Laundry Room Before

The start of my 12 month home transformation begins today with the Laundry Room! To begin, let’s share the good, bad, and ugly.

The good: Cabinets! Since there are already two fairly large cabinets above the washer and dryer which are in pretty decent shape, I don’t have to invest in building or buying more.

Laundry Room Before 006

The bad: Too much stuff and no organization. The laundry room is right off the breakfast room and is a pass through to the den upstairs so no door to close or way to rearrange where the washer and dryer are located.

Laundry Room Before 001

The ugly: We had a water leak in the wall two years ago and the plumber had to cut the sheet rock to repair the pipes. Obviously nothing has been done to patch the wall and dust loves to congregate there!

 

Laundry Room Before 002

The plan: Turn this dungeon into a laundry oasis by removing all the unnecessary items, patching the sheet rock, stripping the wallpaper, painting or stenciling the walls, rearranging the cabinets and setting up useful storage

The budget: $150.00

The timetable: January 1-31

Wish me luck!