I got a lot accomplished last week in my ongoing home transformation. So far my husband has been a good sport so I hope that continues for the rest of the year as I tackle a new room each month!
I have a full time job so most of the activity is done after dinner each night. Last week’s evenings looked like this:
- Monday: removed everything so we could paint
- Tuesday: taped the trim
- Wednesday: patched the holes and sanded
- Thursday: painted the first coat of Jersey Cream
- Friday: painted the second coat of Jersey Cream
After the painting was complete, I measured all the windows and sewed the valances. Since the back of my valances can be seen from the deck, I had to line them to prevent fading and unsightly views. I used a wonderful tutorial from Kelly at View Along the Way. The original tutorial is for drapes but the instructions and photos are super easy to follow and I simply adjusted the length to make a valance instead.
Once the valances were sewn, Eric hung “L” brackets and cut 1x4s to use as toppers.
We used a staple gun to attach the valance to the 1×4 then simply slid on top of the bracket.
The final result is awesome but I am saving photos for next week’s big reveal!
Not much to show in terms of progress, but lots to share about how the planning is coming along. Progress to date is only removing the wallpaper border and cleaning the ceiling fan.
I originally did not plan to paint but as is typical for me, I decided to remove the border since it did not match well with my new laundry room’s color. This of course, now means I have to paint. I also need to sand where the border was because it pulled up some of the paint that was there before. On a positive note, I’m sticking to the same color, Jersey Cream, and did manage to get a gallon for nearly 50% off during a big sales event Sherwin Williams had the last weekend of January. I love Sherwin Williams paint but at 50+ dollars a gallon, I try to use it sparingly unless I catch a good sale!
This time, I actually bought two gallons so I could combine a $15 off $75 purchase with the 30% paint sale. Since I don’t know if I will need to use both gallons in the breakfast room, I only had one mixed as Jersey Cream and left the other as the base white. One of the perks at Sherwin Williams is you can bring back unopened gallons and have them mix the color when you are ready instead of committing to a particular color at the time of purchase.
I have pale yellow walls, deep red accent pieces, and coral walls in the adjoining laundry room so I started my search for valances by trying to find material that would match. Imagine my surprise when I found the perfect material at Hobby Lobby for 30% off!
I also found a great tutorial for using electrical conduit as curtain rods for bay windows at Domestic Imperfection. I picked up the needed supplies for less than $20 so with my valance material and trim, the total project should come in less than $100.
This week I hope to finish preparing the walls and get started sewing the valances. That should leave me with painting fun for Valentine’s day and tackling the desk for next week!
I know you were probably expecting to see my laundry room reveal but there a few finishing touches I must see to first. In the meantime, I thought I would share my February project, the Breakfast Room.
The good: Paint color! This room along with the kitchen AND my sewing room are painted this lovely yellow, Jersey Cream, from Sherwin Williams. After a LOT of painting in the laundry room, I’m happy to note there won’t be much, if any, required for this room.
The bad: My storage cabinets. The cabinets themselves are in great shape and include very deep shelves but the organization is seriously lacking. I never can find what I need without standing on a chair or pulling everything out.
The ugly: My desk. When I gutted the kitchen and breakfast room five years ago, I thought it would be a great idea to include a desk in this area so I could do all my bill paying, recipe planning, and grocery list making in one spot. As you can see, this area is a catch all for stuff instead!
The plan: Organize the storage cabinets, reduce the clutter and make the desk a usable space by upgrading the internet connection.
The budget: $100
The timetable: February 1-28