Transformation Tuesday: Laundry Room Reveal

At long last, I’m excited to show you my new laundry room in all its glory!

DSCN0158

For such a small space, it took us an entire month to finally finish due to my ever changing ideas. The final result is exactly what I hoped for. On the left wall there are hooks for spare keys, dog leashes and aprons along with a framed vintage Springmaid advertisement and sassy quote.

DSCN0160

On the far wall is a framed collection of 1951 Tide detergent ads and another vintage Springmaid advertisement. My husband and I have a running joke about Ward and June Cleaver so I surprised him with the Tide ads. Since he does the majority of the laundry, the role reversal was quite funny!

Vintage Artwork Laundry Room

I didn’t change the cabinets on the back wall as they were still in good shape but Eric added a couple of shelves to hold extra rolls of paper towels and my grocery bags. He also added a rod to hang clothes since we removed the large rolling hanger cart that once was used.

006

I also found a graphic black and white rug to liven up the brown linoleum and I think it definitely finishes the room!

008

My original budget was $150 so let’s see how I did against that.

  • Paint: $45 (Valspar from Lowes clearance bin and white Kilz)
  • Rug: $58 (Overstock find here)
  • Beadboard: $80 (Home Depot similar product here)
  • Artwork & Framing: $100 (Artwork found on Ebay, frames from Michaels)
  • Switch plate and Air Vent: $20 (Home Depot)
  • Shelving & Hanging Rod: Free leftovers from other projects

Total spent: $303

Well I obviously went over double my budget but I’m so happy with the results I would not change a single thing. Let’s compare the before and after shall we?

Hope you agree that the changes are definitely for the better!

Advertisements

Transformation Tuesday: Laundry Room Progress

I won’t lie. This is a LOT of work.

What started out as, “Oh, I think I want to clean up the laundry room” ended up more like, “Let’s remodel Mt. Rushmore!”

The room is small and my initial plan was to simply pretty it up and reduce the clutter by organizing the space better. I do feel my plan was accomplished and now I don’t mind having the laundry room out in the open for all my guests to see.

As a reminder, here is how my laundry room looked before:

Laundry Room Before 001

Laundry Room Makeover in Progress:

The first order of business was removing the yucky popcorn ceiling and stripping the wallpaper. The popcorn ceiling removal was messy but not too hard to do. I poured some hot water into a paint tray and rolled a heavy layer onto the ceiling. After about 10 minutes, I simply took a putty knife and scraped the gunk off. The ceiling is not completely smooth but the texture is gone. I added a layer of Kilz white primer and called it a day.

The wallpaper, however, was another story. Even after scoring it and wiping the walls down with a TON of water and wallpaper stripper, the paper would not come off. I ended up having to peel the color layer off first and repeat the whole process for the backing layer. What should have been a 2 hour job ended up closer to 6! My sweet daddy ended up helping with the final layer as I was fed up with it.

Wrestling 087

Once we finally removed all the wallpaper and wiped down the walls, it was time for patching. Remember the hole behind my washer from the plumbing repairs? Well that is gone along will all the myriad of holes from various hooks and dings. Instead of having a dated red check and cloud blue wallpaper, I brought in a fresh new color.

 

Wrestling 093

I used Valspar paint from the Lowe’s clearance bin. It was originally a rose color that I thought would be close but after my dad did an entire day of painting, I realized it was just too pink so I fiddled with it by adding a bit of white and yellow I had leftover from other projects to make it more coral. The second coat ended up exactly what I wanted.

As is typical for me, I then decided the paint was just too much coral so I found some mdf bead board at Home Depot and ordered enough to wrap the bottom half of the walls. Eric cut it to length then we installed it using a nail gun. This type of bead board comes pre-primed so a single coat of white paint was all I needed.

Wrestling 103

I’m hoping to finish up some shelving, the lighting, and decorating by next week so I can move on to my next project!