Transformation Tuesday: Breakfast Room Progress

I got a lot accomplished last week in my ongoing home transformation. So far my husband has been a good sport so I hope that continues for the rest of the year as I tackle a new room each month!

I have a full time job so most of the activity is done after dinner each night. Last week’s evenings looked like this:

  • Monday: removed everything so we could paint
  • Tuesday: taped the trim
  • Wednesday: patched the holes and sanded
  • Thursday: painted the first coat of Jersey Cream
  • Friday: painted the second coat of Jersey Cream

breakfast room upgrade 001

After the painting was complete, I measured all the windows and sewed the valances. Since the back of my valances can be seen from the deck, I had to line them to prevent fading and unsightly views. I used a wonderful tutorial from Kelly at View Along the Way.  The original tutorial is for drapes but the instructions and photos are super easy to follow and I simply adjusted the length to make a valance instead.

Once the valances were sewn, Eric hung “L” brackets and cut 1x4s to use as toppers.

breakfast room upgrade 015

breakfast room upgrade 017

We used a staple gun to attach the valance to the 1×4 then simply slid on top of the bracket.

003

The final result is awesome but I am saving photos for next week’s big reveal!

 

Transformation Tuesday: Breakfast Room Planning

Not much to show in terms of progress, but lots to share about how the planning is coming along. Progress to date is only removing the wallpaper border and cleaning the ceiling fan.

DSCN0162

I originally did not plan to paint but as is typical for me, I decided to remove the border since it did not match well with my new laundry room’s color. This of course, now means I have to paint. I also need to sand where the border was because it pulled up some of the paint that was there before. On a positive note, I’m sticking to the same color, Jersey Cream, and did manage to get a gallon for nearly 50% off during a big sales event Sherwin Williams had the last weekend of January. I love Sherwin Williams paint but at 50+ dollars a gallon, I try to use it sparingly unless I catch a good sale!

This time, I actually bought two gallons so I could combine a $15 off $75 purchase with the 30% paint sale. Since I don’t know if I will need to use both gallons in the breakfast room, I only had one mixed as Jersey Cream and left the other as the base white. One of the perks at Sherwin Williams is you can bring back unopened gallons and have them mix the color when you are ready instead of committing to a particular color at the time of purchase.

DSCN0161

I have pale yellow walls, deep red accent pieces, and coral walls in the adjoining laundry room so I started my search for valances by trying to find material that would match. Imagine my surprise when I found the perfect material at Hobby Lobby for 30% off!

DSCN0172

I also found a great tutorial for using electrical conduit as curtain rods for bay windows at Domestic Imperfection. I picked up the needed supplies for less than $20 so with my valance material and trim, the total project should come in less than $100.

This week I hope to finish preparing the walls and get started sewing the valances. That should leave me with painting fun for Valentine’s day and tackling the desk for next week!

Transformation Tuesday: Laundry Room Before

The start of my 12 month home transformation begins today with the Laundry Room! To begin, let’s share the good, bad, and ugly.

The good: Cabinets! Since there are already two fairly large cabinets above the washer and dryer which are in pretty decent shape, I don’t have to invest in building or buying more.

Laundry Room Before 006

The bad: Too much stuff and no organization. The laundry room is right off the breakfast room and is a pass through to the den upstairs so no door to close or way to rearrange where the washer and dryer are located.

Laundry Room Before 001

The ugly: We had a water leak in the wall two years ago and the plumber had to cut the sheet rock to repair the pipes. Obviously nothing has been done to patch the wall and dust loves to congregate there!

 

Laundry Room Before 002

The plan: Turn this dungeon into a laundry oasis by removing all the unnecessary items, patching the sheet rock, stripping the wallpaper, painting or stenciling the walls, rearranging the cabinets and setting up useful storage

The budget: $150.00

The timetable: January 1-31

Wish me luck!