Transformation Tuesday: Breakfast Room Progress

I got a lot accomplished last week in my ongoing home transformation. So far my husband has been a good sport so I hope that continues for the rest of the year as I tackle a new room each month!

I have a full time job so most of the activity is done after dinner each night. Last week’s evenings looked like this:

  • Monday: removed everything so we could paint
  • Tuesday: taped the trim
  • Wednesday: patched the holes and sanded
  • Thursday: painted the first coat of Jersey Cream
  • Friday: painted the second coat of Jersey Cream

breakfast room upgrade 001

After the painting was complete, I measured all the windows and sewed the valances. Since the back of my valances can be seen from the deck, I had to line them to prevent fading and unsightly views. I used a wonderful tutorial from Kelly at View Along the Way.  The original tutorial is for drapes but the instructions and photos are super easy to follow and I simply adjusted the length to make a valance instead.

Once the valances were sewn, Eric hung “L” brackets and cut 1x4s to use as toppers.

breakfast room upgrade 015

breakfast room upgrade 017

We used a staple gun to attach the valance to the 1×4 then simply slid on top of the bracket.

003

The final result is awesome but I am saving photos for next week’s big reveal!

 

Transformation Tuesday: Laundry Room Progress

I won’t lie. This is a LOT of work.

What started out as, “Oh, I think I want to clean up the laundry room” ended up more like, “Let’s remodel Mt. Rushmore!”

The room is small and my initial plan was to simply pretty it up and reduce the clutter by organizing the space better. I do feel my plan was accomplished and now I don’t mind having the laundry room out in the open for all my guests to see.

As a reminder, here is how my laundry room looked before:

Laundry Room Before 001

Laundry Room Makeover in Progress:

The first order of business was removing the yucky popcorn ceiling and stripping the wallpaper. The popcorn ceiling removal was messy but not too hard to do. I poured some hot water into a paint tray and rolled a heavy layer onto the ceiling. After about 10 minutes, I simply took a putty knife and scraped the gunk off. The ceiling is not completely smooth but the texture is gone. I added a layer of Kilz white primer and called it a day.

The wallpaper, however, was another story. Even after scoring it and wiping the walls down with a TON of water and wallpaper stripper, the paper would not come off. I ended up having to peel the color layer off first and repeat the whole process for the backing layer. What should have been a 2 hour job ended up closer to 6! My sweet daddy ended up helping with the final layer as I was fed up with it.

Wrestling 087

Once we finally removed all the wallpaper and wiped down the walls, it was time for patching. Remember the hole behind my washer from the plumbing repairs? Well that is gone along will all the myriad of holes from various hooks and dings. Instead of having a dated red check and cloud blue wallpaper, I brought in a fresh new color.

 

Wrestling 093

I used Valspar paint from the Lowe’s clearance bin. It was originally a rose color that I thought would be close but after my dad did an entire day of painting, I realized it was just too pink so I fiddled with it by adding a bit of white and yellow I had leftover from other projects to make it more coral. The second coat ended up exactly what I wanted.

As is typical for me, I then decided the paint was just too much coral so I found some mdf bead board at Home Depot and ordered enough to wrap the bottom half of the walls. Eric cut it to length then we installed it using a nail gun. This type of bead board comes pre-primed so a single coat of white paint was all I needed.

Wrestling 103

I’m hoping to finish up some shelving, the lighting, and decorating by next week so I can move on to my next project!